Thursday, October 18, 2007

When at all possible, go hiking!



Like the Israelites wandering in the wilderness and complaining to Moses about their sorry situation, murmurings have arisen as to the outdated post on this 'ole blog of mine! What's a girl to do but satisfy her readers! :-)

Indian summer or not, hiking in the fall on the East Coast has to rank right up there as one of the best weekend activities out there. I mean, with all the fall foliage (even IF the leaves aren't as brilliant this year because of less rain), it is simply spectacular! And of course, hiking with someone special always makes it even better. Kevin and I had the best day hiking at the Delaware Water Gap two weeks ago. We had it all, great soundtrack for the trip there and back, yummy picnic, invigorating exercise, beautiful scenery on the hike and out the car window, great conversation along the way and even a little excitement--what would you know but crossing a small stream we came across a little snake! I did my best to be brave and calmed myself and made my way past it without much more than a little extra adrenalin pumping through my veins. I had to laugh, too, because somehow I had this distinct feeling that the warm weather and the vegetation around us might easily make for a run-in and sure enough, it happened. I feel like I've made significant progress in coping with my fear of snakes. Not only do I now run again on the Canal Path with confidence and ease but I can encounter snakes suddenly on a hike and not turn and run away. Let that be a lessen to all of you wusses out there! Ha! Just kidding! :-)

Aren't Kevin and I a cute hiking couple? :-)












1 comment:

Kevin said...

Shannon, the pictures look great. Even the pic of the leaves that fell naturally without any manipulation from humans to bring out their color contrast looked good too...
Thanks for posting!