Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Just so you know...I met Meryl Streep!

For the full story, go to http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S16/49/92S82/index.xml?section=topstories
or for a personal account see the December 1st post here, http://alataye.livejournal.com/.
Here's my personal account of what happened to me after her speech:

I exited immediately after the announcement was made by the big round guy about where she would need to exit and happened to come right outside to where security was barricading off a door and there was the dark black car waiting. Meryl came out within a minute (about 30 seconds after the President of the university came out apologizing that she wasn't Meryl) and started to walk immediately to the car. I really don't even think she had seen us. But then we started clapping and she turned around, looked very surprised and somehow indicated, as only she could do, that she was very touched and immediately came over and started shaking the hands of the people in the front of the group. They kept saying, "It so nice to meet you," and she would say, "Thank you, thank you" and kind of divert her eyes. She got to me and stuck her hand out, almost not looking at me and I said, "Ms. Streep, thank you, that was profound." She looked surprised by that and said thank you, immediately moving on to the last person." Then she walked away. It was surreal! I finally "met" Meryl Streep (one of my life goals), shook her hand and communicated with her--trying to tell her what I really felt, but of course it sounded cliche. It is so true, though! She communicated deep truth in a way only she could have done. She was an extraordinary mixture of charming self-deprecation, humor and story-telling, all of which surrounded a deeply philosophical core about what was really her desire to see her work as human connection, reconciliation and empathy--which it is!!!! It was an unforgettable night!

No comments: