Wednesday, December 20, 2006

O Christmas Tree



My mom tells me the Christmas tree this year is the best one ever, all big and full and beautifully decorated. It didn't help that I woke up on Monday morning wishing I was home already, cup of tea in hand, sitting in front of the lighted tree, making up for lost time. Sigh. Not that this last week in P-town isn't filled with fun holiday cheer. Monday night was the Young Adult Christmas Open House for my church. Last night I had dinner with the family whose kids I babysit on Wednesdays. Tonight is the seminary Christmas concert followed by time hanging out with friends. Tomorrow night I'm going over to a friend's place for yummy treats. And then it's Friday. TGIF. Oh wait, Friday night is looking a bit bleak. Everyone will pretty much have already left. I guess I'll be cleaning, doing laundry, watching a movie...longing to be in front of the family tree with the fam. Sigh. As it is, I won't officially be home (as in pulling up to the driveway) until after midnight on Saturday night (a.k.a., on Christmas Eve). I've never gotten home for Christmas so late before. I don't know if I like it. We open our gifts as a family on Christmas Eve night so I'll be wrapping all my gifts earlier in the day. I'm usually the first one to put gifts under the tree. Not this year. If only it didn't cost an arm and a leg to change a flight. Okay, enough of my complaining. At least I'll be home for Christmas. Maybe I should take advantage of my longing and consider the even more important time of waiting and longing for the in-breaking of God into our world that is signified by Advent season. After all, we know that all shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well. God did assume human flesh unto God's self and enter our broken world and frail humanity. And God will come again to finish what God began. When I look at it in this light, what is a few more days away from home longing to be in front of the Christmas tree???

1 comment:

samuel joseph smythe said...

wow. i look hott in that shot. :)